Wednesday, November 18, 2009

2 Thanksgiving Sides- Autumn Hash and Vegetable Trio with Orange-Thyme Dressing

I love roasting vegetables. I truly believe that any vegetable can taste delicious if you roast it in the oven with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. It's true for brussel sprouts, parsnips, beets, cauliflower, etc. I could give millions of examples.
I saw a couple of recipes in the Thanksgiving issues of food magazines and these 2 side dishes really looked delicious. I decided to try both of them and see if they would be a great addition at a Thanksgiving dinner. Both of these would be great for a special occasion, but I also think they would be great anytime. Delicious.

The first recipe comes from Bon Appetit and I thought it looked beautiful with all the different colors and I loved that they included the beet greens, mixing them in with the oven-roasted vegetables. The original recipe calls for potatoes, sweet potatos, yams, baby golden beets, and butternut squash. I changed it a little bit and decided to use red potatoes, butternut squash, golden and red beets. The fresh herbs it uses are oregano, Italian parsley, and rosemary.

I couldn't find baby beets, so I just used normal sized beets and cut them into small pieces.
This was really delicious and a great way to get more vegetables on the table!

Recipe for Potato and Autumn Vegetable Hash



The second recipe I found in Ladies Home Journal. It combines acorn squash, carrots, and beets. It also has a fabulous dressing that combines thyme (one of my fave herbs) and orange juice/zest. Delicious! The thyme and orange really go great together and make these vegetables taste amazing.

Spice up your thanksgiving table by adding some delicious color and nutrition with roasted vegetables!


Recipe for Vegetable Trio with Orange-Thyme Dressing

Recipe for Potato and Autumn Vegetable Hash

7 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

I made that Bon Appetit recipe too, and I'm posting it tomorrow. If I had had more time last night, mine would have been up today too. :o) It was super tasty. I bet the addition of orange-thyme dressing was really good. I love thyme.

Shelby said...

Mary Ann, what a beautiful dish this is! I'm bookmarking right NOW!

Anonymous said...

I love the fall colors. Beautiful dishes and flavors.

Unknown said...

Both of these dishes look wonderful! I love how colorful they are. I think I have that orange plate in the bottom photo :)

Meghan said...

These vegetable dishes are so bright and colorful! They would beautiful with the Thanksgiving meal.

Amanda said...

What beautiful colors! Terrific photograph too!

Sook said...

Those are very colorful side dishes! I bet they taste so great too! Thanks for sharing your idea on Thanksgiving side dishes. I'm always looking for new ways to create a great Thanksgiving dinner.