Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Shredded Beet and Carrot Salad

Sometimes I try a dish out of pure curiosity.
I have been loving beets lately, so when I was flipping through Great Food Fast and I saw this quick, little salad- I decided to try it.
If you haven't seen this cookbook, I have to say it is really cool, because they organize the recipes according to season. This recipe was in the autumn/fall section of the book.

I was doubtful about how well my husband and kids would like this, so I waited until my mom came to visit to make it. She likes interesting flavors and vegetables, so I was hopeful that she and I would be fans.

The heading on the page suggested serving it as a side to pork or chicken, but I decided to serve it on a meatless meal night.
I told my kids and husband that they had to try at least one bite and if they didn't like it, they were off the hook. None of them liked it.

My mom and I, on the other hand thought it was a refreshing salad.
I don't think I have ever eaten raw beets before, but the combination of spices and flavors was quite delicious.
I think it would make a nice side on Thanksgiving or at any meal, really. So there you go.


Shredded Beet and Carrot Salad from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbls olive oil
1 Tbls honey
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Coarse salt
1 pound raw beets, peeled
2 carrots, peeled (I used matchstick carrots)
1/3 cup coarsely torn fresh parsley

1- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, honey, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, and 3/4 tsp salt.
2- In a food processor (I just used my box grater), fitted with the shredding disk, shred the beets and then the carrots. Add to the bowl along with the parsley, and toss all of the ingredients to combine.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever had beets so I'm not sure if I'd like the salad, but I love how colorful it is! I make things out of curiosity sometimes too, especially when they're not too complicated.

bjandcec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bjandcec said...

I am so happy I was at your house to taste a few of these recipes. We are in serious "yum" deprivation here without you.

Anonymous said...

I love the color. Still not on the beet bandwagon... :P

jenniferhoiyin said...

i saw a recipe title for this very salad & said to myself i must have it. thanks!

Steph said...

I always like the variety of dishes you cook. While uncooked beets are not my favourite, I wouldn't hesitate to taste this!

Kayte said...

To be honest, I don't really know if we like beets or not as I never make them. They have such a bad reputation always. Your salad looks so wonderful, though that I should give them a try, living on the edge over here thinking these might be appreciated. It is so colorful and fresh looking...thanks for the inspiration.