Sunday, November 15, 2009

MSC-Candied Sweet Potato Cupcakes

This months MS: Cupcakes Club cupcake was chosen by Karen, who blogs over at Karen's Cookies, Cakes and More.
Karen chose the Candied Sweet Potato Cupcakes for November. You can find the recipe on page 243 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes.
These cupcakes are a play off of a popular Thanksgiving side dish, which combines sweet potatoes, pecans, and marshmallows. I am not really familiar with it because we never had it growing up, but I know those are the 3 ingredients.

The cupcake uses sweet potato puree from roasted sweet potatoes and since I knew quite awhile ago that this cupcake was coming up, I froze the leftover sweet potato puree I had from these Sweet Potato Biscuits, so I wouldn't have the extra step of roasting sweet potatoes (even though it isn't that difficult to roast a sweet potato, I planned ahead).
I made 1/4th of the recipe, which ended up being 6 cupcakes. I simplified the cupcake a step further by not making the candied pecans. I just toasted pecan halves in the oven and used those to top my cupcakes.
I was very skeptical about the marshmallow topping. The instructions said to make mounds of mini marshmallows, broil them, and then carefully transfer them to the tops of the cupcakes. I did just what it said and was amazed that perfect little browned mounds of marshmallows came out of the oven.
I quickly transferred the marshmallow mounds to the cupcakes and stuck a toasted pecan half into the warm topping. Perfect.
I upped the nutmeg in the cupcake and had a taste, which was wonderful.
I let my kids try one and they loved the marshmallow topping. I am definitely going to use the marshmallow topping in the future for all sorts of cupcakes. So easy and so cute. Just perfect.
I shared a couple with my hubby's co-workers and they were really well liked.
I think these would make a great addition to Thanksgiving as a dessert or even as a side!
Check out the MSC Blogroll for lots of great cupcakes!


13 comments:

Megan said...

Those look perfect - and the marshmallow topping sounds like it was super easy.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Now there's an idea: serve the cupcakes on the side of the turkey and skip the sweet potato casserole! Love how these look, and I love sweet potato, so I'll bet they were yummy.

Bella Baker said...

your cupcakes look awesome!! I am a slacker and didn't have a chance to get to these over the weekend...but seeing yours is giving me motivation to give these a try ASAP!

Dave said...

Make these into mini's and i totally agree: perfect for the thanksgiving table! Yours are lovely!

Cindy said...

These cupcakes were so much fun. I love it when I eat vegetables for breakfast! I dipped my cupcakes in browned butter frosting. They were so good I had to quickly send them to the neighbors--who quickly called for the recipe!

Delicious Dishings said...

They look great! I didn't make these this time, but I looked through the recipe, and I was wondering if the mounds of marshmallows would work out too. I'm glad to hear they were just as easy as they sound.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your help with the marshmallow mounds the other day :) Your cupcakes look awesome and it sounds like they were a hit with everyone! I think these would be great at Thanksgiving - I may just make them.

Teresa said...

I agree these would be fun at a Thanksgiving table. Good idea to add a whole pecan to the gooey marshmallow topping. It really made the cupcakes look special.

Anonymous said...

They look delicious!

Hindy said...

With your three recent posts, you've got a delicious theme going of vegetable-inspired pastry!
They all look great.

Lori said...

Your cupcakes look amazing! I went with cream cheese frosting and I am wishing that I had gone with the marshmallows now because I am hearing that a lot of people liked it.

Soy*Baby said...

Your cupcakes are darling. These were tasty.

Nina said...

YUM! looks good