Friday, November 6, 2009

Malted Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies and Malted Milk Ice Cream

The moment I saw these cookies over at Cafe Johnsonia (Hurry and go over there and look at Lindsey's blog, she is taking it down at the end of this week), I knew I would make them when my mom was here to visit. She loves malt.
I have only made a couple of dessert with malt-Peabody's Chocolate Malted Cupcakes with Malted Whipped Frosting (fabulous!) and Dorie's Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops, but both of those desserts were made when I lived in Utah and my mom was close by to taste the goods.
Lindsey said these kind of tasted like a graham cracker. They only use whole wheat flour and are quite simple to mix together. The dough chills overnight and then you scoop the cookies and bake them the next day.
Superb- my mom loved them!
I thought since I was making cookies with malt, I might as well make some malt flavored ice cream as well. Nancy was kind enough to share a recipe that she had reduced to make a smaller amount, but I ended up using David Lebovitz's recipe from his book, The Perfect Scoop. I made a 1/2 batch of the ice cream and omitted the whoppers.

The first night my mom was here, we served her this delicious combination of malt desserts. She was in heaven! My daughter crumbled her cookie and mixed it into her ice cream, and soon the rest of the family followed suit.
These cookies freeze well and also are a good cookie to send in packages.
I have a certain friend in mind, who loves malt as much as my mom. You know who you are- I will add these to your Christmas package!

Malted Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
an original recipe by Lindsey Johnson

2 1/2-3 cups whole wheat flour (add a bit more if you like a thicker cookie)
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup malt powder (such as Carnation or Horlicks, not Ovaltine)
2 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 package good quality milk chocolate chips (we like Ghirardelli or Guittard)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

2. Melt butter in another large mixing bowl (microwave safe) and whisk in sugar. Let cool to room temperature. Add the eggs, malt powder and vanilla; whisk well and make sure no lumps of dark brown sugar remain.

3. Fold the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm—about 30 minutes or overnight. (I liked them best when chilled overnight.)

4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Using two large spoons, or (my favorite way) a small ice cream scoop, place golf-ball size mounds of dough on a baking sheet—about 3” apart. (A large, rimmed baking sheet will fit about 9 balls of dough.) Gently press the cookies down if you used 3 cups of flour so they spread evenly. Bake until cookies no longer look wet on top, about 10-12 minutes, making sure to rotate baking sheet halfway through baking time. Remove from oven and cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Place cookies on a wire rack to finish cooling.

David Lebovitz's Malted Milk Ice Cream
Recipe by David Lebovitz

Ingredients
1 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup malt powder
6 large egg yolks
2 cups malted milk balls, coarsely chopped

Warm the half-and-half, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, vanilla, and malt powder and set a mesh strainer on top.

In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and whisk it into the malted milk mixture. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. As you remove the ice cream from the machine, fold in the chopped malted milk balls.


.

9 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

These are at the top of my Must Try list. I am such a nut for chocolate chip cookies so I imagine these just put them over the top. How decadent with the ice cream as well!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that they use whole wheat flour!

Steph said...

I've always wanted to try baking cookies with whole wheat flour. If it tastes like a graham cracker than I'm bookmarking these!

Amanda said...

How fabulous! My husband loves malt, I will have to try these. Glad you mom enjoyed them!

Sook said...

Now I want to make cookies right now and I'm supposed to stay away from them... he he

Nancy/n.o.e said...

What a fun treat for your malt loving mom! The cookies look delicious and now I have to try that malt ice cream to compare with the recipe I made! (and btw, thanks for the heads up on Lindsey's plans - she always has such delicious food, so I'll be checking out a few recipes in the next few days)

Anonymous said...

Those cookies sound delicious. And I've made the ice cream before. It's wonderful!

Katrina said...

I printed this recipe off a couple days ago and can't wait to make them! Yours look perfect and yummy!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Whoa, lethal combo of malt and malt! I love it!! ;)