Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cranberry and Vanilla Bean Sorbet

This is my last recommendation for your Thanksgiving meal. I saw this recipe in a recent issue of Bon Appetit Magazine and the picture left me with no excuse not to make this sorbet.

I love cranberries. I started hoarding bags of them weeks ago, as soon as they appeared in my local Publix. I love how tart they are and their bright red color. They are so beautiful and good for you. I really don't think that cranberries get the attention that they deserve.
Anyway, I thought that the combination of cranberries and vanilla was very interesting and definitely something I would never have thought to combine.

The great thing about sorbets is that they are quick and easy to make. This one basically just combines all the ingredients and cooks them over the stove and then when the mixture has cooled you puree it in the food processor and then churn it in your ice cream maker. I reduced the sugar by about 1/4 cup.

I love what Bon Appetit had to say about this sorbet- "Here's a clean, bright dessert that makes a great finish to any meal and can be prepared days ahead. Plus, who knew that mellow vanilla would go so beautifully with tangy cranberries?"
I really think the words clean and bright are great ways to describe this sorbet. It would be the perfect ending to a Thanksgiving meal. Light and delicious. Tangy and sweet.

My girls, who are 5 and almost 3, loved, loved, loved this sorbet.

*note- the recipe says to strain out the cranberry-vanilla bean mixture before you churn it, but I opted not to do this. I like seeds and skins and they really were not that noticeable in this sorbet.
Recipe for Cranberry and Vanilla Bean Sorbet


Happy Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

GF Gidget said...

Great, now I have to decide between this and Egg-Nog Ice Cream. This is kind of winning, since I already have all the ingredients!

Delicious Dishings said...

Ooh! I saw that in the magazine and thought it looked delicious! I think it looks even better your way with the seeds and skins left in.

Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!!

Unknown said...

I really want to try this one too! I made a cranberry sorbet last year but it was too tart for me. I'm curious to see how it would be with the vanilla bean.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Jo said...

Looks yummy and if only I can have some right now .. it's been an awfully hot afternoon today.

Barbara said...

Don't need Thanksgiving to try this great recipe! I adore the color and I bet the vanilla bean makes it perfect.

Meghan said...

This looks like such a good sorbet! I am asking for an ice cream maker for Christmas, so I've bookmarked this recipe to try! :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I bookmarked that recipe, too! Yours turned out so pretty and I'm glad to hear it was yummy.

Kayte said...

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. Who would not want to have this for dessert? Thanks for the pointer, I must have missed it when I glanced through the mag...need to pay more attention for sure.