Friday, November 20, 2009

2 Thanksgiving Stuffings/Dressings- Butternut Squash & Cheese Panade and Savory Butternut Squash Dressing

When I was narrowing down all the recipes I wanted to try out before Thanksgiving, I saw these two different takes on stuffing/dressing that both contain butternut squash. I love butternut squash. I think it has the perfect texture and flavor and could turn a squash-hater into a squash lover.
The first recipe is called Butternut Squash and Cheese Panade. (What is panade? Check out this link or this one for more info) I used a multigrain sourdough bread to make my bread crumbs and made enough for the other recipe that I was going to make later. I also roasted a lot of butternut squash and onions with the herbs, so I would have enough for the other stuffing.
This panade is super simple. You layer your bread cubes, butternut squash/onion/herb mixture and cheese. (I used swiss.) Then you pour in the chicken broth, which is soaked up by the bread and bake it until it is golden and the bread is puffed.
I thought this was really good. Very tasty combination of flavors.
The second stuffing/dressing was Savory Butternut Squash Dressing. I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.
I changed a lot of things about this recipe, mainly because I already had my butternut squash roasted. I also had cooked quinoa in my fridge so I decided to use that instead of the wild rice called for. I also left out the dried cranberries.
I sauteed my onion, celery and fresh cranberries in a little bit of oil and then mixed up the egg mixture. I threw in some cooked quinoa and my toasted bread cubes and then put it in the oven to bake. I liked this recipe better, but I think it is because it had more of the traditional "stuffing" texture that I am used to. I really didn't follow the recipe that closely though. I kind of did my own thing.

I really like how both of these recipes incorporate butternut squash into the stuffings/dressings. I am all about having more nutrition and vegetables at Thanksgiving, so however I can get them in, I will try it. Do you have a favorite stuffing/dressing?

Recipe for Savory Butternut Squash Dressing

Recipe for Butternut Squash and Cheese Panade

5 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

I've never heard of a panade, but it looks really tasty, and I like that you made it in individual dishes. The butternut squash dressing looks/sounds fabulous too - I am a big fan of butternut squash!

Meghan said...

These look so great! Never thought to put butternut squash in a stuffing, but I love it so I'm sure it's delicious! My favorite stuffing/dressing is my mom's recipe - it's very, very basic - just celery, onions, bread, butter, and spices, but SO good. My mother in law makes a really good sweet and savory stuffing with apples and dried cherries - it's great too. I love all of your Thanksgiving recipes lately! :)

Kerstin said...

I've really been enjoying all your Thanksgiving comparison posts! Butternut squash in stuffing is such a great idea - yum!

Barbara said...

Panade is new to me, but the recipe looks wonderful. Such fun to have two stuffings to choose from. I have never used butternut squash in a stuffing and can't imagine why.

Unknown said...

You've been sharing some fantastic Thanksgiving recipes over here! I really, really want to try the first one because I love butternut squash and cheese so I don't see how it could go wrong!